Indiana University School of Medicine
IU School of Medicine is a national leader in medical research and education. With more than 60 academic departments and specialty divisions across nine campuses statewide and strong clinical partnerships with the state’s most advanced hospitals and physician networks, the school is continuously advancing its mission to prepare healers and transform health in Indiana and throughout the world.
It is the mission of the Indiana University School of Medicine to advance health in the state of Indiana and beyond by promoting innovation and excellence in education, research and patient care.
Indiana University School of Medicine will be one of the premier medical schools in the nation based on our education, scientific investigation and health care delivery.
- Excellence that is reflected in the innovative conduct and advancement of education, research and patient care.
- Respect for individuals who are affiliated with, or come in contact with, Indiana University School of Medicine: staff students, residents, fellows, faculty, staff, partners, communities, patients and families.
- Integrity that embraces the very highest standards of ethical behavior and exemplary moral character.
- Diversity that is reflected in actions that appreciate all individuals.
- Cooperation that is manifested by collegial communication and collaboration.
The IU School of Medicine was founded in 1903, when it became the fourth medical school in the United States (after Johns Hopkins, Harvard, and Western Reserve) to require two or more years of collegiate work for admission. The school awarded the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree to its first class of 25 in 1907.
For a photographic look at the school's rich history, visit our award-winning centennial celebration web site. Also visit the IUSM medical library's history of medicine collection for bibligraphic and other details on medical history in Indiana and around the U.S. Visit the new History of Women at IUSM site for an informative look at women's role in the history of IU School of Medicine.
Learn more about the IU School of Medicine executive leadership team.